Digital Marketing Basics
Digital Marketing Basics
Are you looking for a simplified guide to digital marketing basics for your business? In 2017, digital and online marketing is poised to receive a whopping $80 billion shift in paradigm. We will see this shift by major corporation such as Coca-Cola, Nike and even car manufacturers, with their advertising dollars into digital marketing. And that’s just to name a few!
Let’s face it, the average person spends a great deal of time on social media and that is where your customers are. If you are not marketing and advertising to your audience where they live, you will lose a huge market share. Marketing on social media has become the default way of reaching people like never before and its only getting better!
But here is the most important point of all, learning digital marketing basics will put you ahead of the crowd. Well ahead and ready to meet the changes coming. This form of marketing is cheaper and faster than it has ever been in history. However, there is a learning curve and it takes time to master the tools and skills. So don’t get caught with your pants down on this one!
Digital Marketing Basics: You Don’t Know What You Don’t Know
After 15 years as a web designer and content manager, I found out that I really didn’t know much. I thought I knew which end was up and that I could use my experience to figure out digital marketing. I foolishly believed that I could use traditional methods with social media. Holy shit was I wrong!
At first I was seeing some results and I thought I had digital marketing basics all figured out. But within a few weeks I realized just the opposite and I began to panic. Being stubborn as a mule, I tried some variations to my tactics and the results were all the same. Except each time my ads performed with less and less effectiveness.
Now I was truly starting to feel like someone drowning, desperate for just one more breath of fresh air. I had gotten complacent over the years and I gotten comfortable in my little zone. Fear gnawed at me every second of the day as I agonized over the impending demise of my business. Was this going to be it? Was it game over? Did I just suddenly wake up one day and not know what the hell I was doing?
I had to do a gut-check. Digital marketing was pushing me out of my comfort-zone and I acting reactively. I felt like when you lean back in a chair and almost fall backwards, but you catch yourself. I realized then that I had to do some research and figure some things out. And the more I dug into digital marketing basics, the more I realized that I didn’t know.
Digital Marketing Basics: Learning & Using Digital Marketing
This section covers what digital marketing is and I give an overview of the different types of digital marketing. And believe me, this is just scratching the surface. So are you ready for this? There are 12 different types of digital marketing and they can all work very well.
What is Digital Marketing?
I’m all about keeping things simple, so here is a simple definition for you. Digital marketing is any sort of marketing that you do online. Writing blog posts, publishing videos, sharing stuff on Facebook and sending an email are all forms of digital marketing. And there are 12 different types of digital marketing!
The 12 Types of Digital Marketing
Here is a list of the 12 different type of digital marketing that you may or may not have heard of. They are in no particular order, with a brief description:
- Digital Marketing/Online Marketing – Generic terms for any of the other forms of digital marketing.
- Affiliate Marketing – This form of marketing involves selling someone else’s shit and pretty much a waste of time.
- Content Marketing – Marketing by driving traffic to your website or offer using content that people want to consume.
- Email Marketing – Similar to content marketing, but in the form of an email.
- Influencer Marketing – This can be as simple as asking a celebrity to use your products or services.
- Pay Per Click (PPC) – As the name implies, you are paying for traffic to your website or offer. Quick and extremely efficient!
- Public Relations – You can do some of it on your own and simply involves getting more exposure for you, your blog and your business.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – The main goal with SEO is to attract new customers through search engines and rich content.
- Social Media Marketing – Similar to PPC on Facebook, Instagram, twitter and YouTube but also includes creating social engagement.
- Text Message Marketing/SMS – Similar to Email Marketing, but with short and to-the-point messages. Very effective!
- Viral Marketing – Can be very difficult to implement, but can also reach huge audiences, quickly. Can be very hit or miss.
- Voice Drops/Voice Mail Marketing – Short voice mail messages with an offer. Almost as effective as Text/SMS Marketing!
Digital Marketing Basics: More To Come
Yes, you read that correctly, there is another article called Digital Marketing Basics Part 2! I will finish up this topic with fundamentals of digital marketing and of course giving you some actionable items that you can start using right away for your business. Today!
But most importantly, I want to give a shout-out to my friend from across the pond, Amy Jordan, founder of POP Content in the U.K. for the inspiration for this article. Here is a link to her article that I had some input with, Unusual Back-Linking Techniques – Straight From Expert SEOs and its one of my personal favorites.
As always, if my company may be of assistance with the Digital Marketing Basics, click on the banner below to get started.